2. Beware of people with no business license.
3. Beware of a company with no business phone number.
4. Check with your local Better Business Bureau.
5. The best referral is from someone you know who has used that particular service. Do not be overly impressed with referrals supplied by the company. Even the worst companies have a few satisfied customers.
6. Beware of incomplete work covered up by wood chips from a partially ground stump.
7. A tree hit by lightening may not require removal. Give it 30-60 days.